Our grannies can cook! And bake! And make the most delicious dishes that became the very taste of childhood. Those gastronomical memories are so precious that they deserve to passed onto the next generation.
To help you continue to Eat Right, Sleep Tight we provide you with some classic recipes in this series, Grannies' Tried & Tested. If you have a wonderful family recipe that you would like to share please do so on our Sealy Facebook page.
This month we feature NANA'S PANNEKOEK RECIPE
- 2 eggs
- 25 ml melted butter/margerine/cooking oil
- 140g (250ml) cake flour
- 500ml milk
- 15ml brandy (optional)
- pinch of salt
- oil for cooking
- Separate the eggs.
- Whip the egg yolk, flour, melted butter/margerine/cooking oil and one third of the milk.
- Add the salt and remaining milk and mix well.
- Allow to stand for at least one hour.
- Add the brandy.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into the mixture just before cooking.
- Heat a little oil on medium heat in a 20cm size pan. Pour out any excess oil - pan must be lightly oiled.
- Pour in just enough mixture to cover the pan.
- Bake until underside is golden brown and use a palet knife to turn the pancake.
- Place the pancake on an ovenproof plate and cover with tinfoil.
I recall eating these pancakes at least twice a day during the Winter school holidays op die plaas in Joubertina. The full batch can be made and then frozen using wax paper/cling wrap in between each pancake. The beauty of this is that you only require a few seconds in the microwave to warm up it up, giving you plenty of time to concentrate on making the best filling.
The Sealy Sleep Expert recommends making a filling of banana, honey and full cream plain yogurt to make a sleep-inducing snack rich in vitamin B6 and minerals such as calcium and magnesium (which are precursors to the wonderful sleep hormones melatonin and serotonin).
Find more at: Foods that promote sleep.