THE TASTIEST APPLE PIE EVER
This is an apple pie with only rave reviews from sweetlittlebluebird.
This pie is a real treat (read: not to be eaten every day as it is full of sugar and fat).
For the filling-
- 8 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- few dashes of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
For the pie crust -
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2/3 cups butter
- 6 tbsp of ice water (very important)
Get the pastry ready before you start with the filling.
- Mix flour, salt and butter with two knives, cutting into the dough until it resembles small peas/crumbs.
- Add the ice water and mix gently until dough is formed.
- Divide into two equal balls.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- Roll out crusts on floured surface.
Now start with the filling
- Melt butter in a sauce pan.
- Stir in flour to form a paste.
- Add white sugar, brown sugar and water and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly.
- Cover with a lattice work crust.
- Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust.
- Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
- Bake 15 minutes at 220 degrees C. Reduce the temperature to 175 degrees C and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes.
For more tips and instructions go to allrecipes.com.