Heater blanket. Winter duvet. Chunky knit throw. Gas heater. Hot water bottle. Humidifier. I hope you have decked out your bedroom to fight off the chill and are fully embracing this weather - snuggling under the covers and lying in whenever you can. And, of course, diving into all warm wintry foods (when Eskom allows you to cook!)
Our Eat Right recipe this month is sure to warm your belly and keep you on your eating plan - whether you are Banting or avoiding gluten... This recipe has never failed me, I hope it serves you well too.
VEGGIE ROOT SOUP
This soup works well with many adaptations so do not fear adding any left-over veg from your fridge to the mix (courgettes and peas are great - just don't overdo it).
- 500g peeled & chopped butternut
- 4 chopped carrots
- 100g peeled & chopped sweet potato
- 1 onion
- 2 cups water (or more if you like your soup more watery)
- fresh chopped garlic
- large blob salted butter or double cream
- large helping of garden herbs
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Fry onion and garlic in oil in a large pot.
- Add water, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Once boiling, add butternut, carrot and sweet potato.
- Allow veg to soften and then mash or blend to fine consistency.
- Turn down heat and serve with warm bread of your choice.
This soup also freezes & thaws well so go ahead and store up for lazy evenings!